The Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA) has public statements on issues such as birth control, abortion, human reproductive technology, marriage and de facto relationships, euthanasia or mercy killing, and human sexuality. Click on this link to access the LCA’s Doctrinal Statements and Theological Opinions on these and other topics. There are three volumes. Under each volume, scroll down the page to ‘H. Ethical and Social Issues’ – or simply read them below.
Volume I (Section H. Ethical and Social Issues)
- Attitude to birth control
- War, peace, and conscientious objection to service in war
- Homosexuality (1975)
CTICR has finalised a document ‘Human sexuality: three key issues’ (refer Volume 3 below). This paper replaces the 1975 DSTO entitled 'Homosexuality'.
- The involvement of the church in social & political problems
- Capital punishment
- Marriage, divorce and re-marriage
- The use of drugs
- Euthanasia or mercy killing
- Human reproductive technology
- Humanity's treatment of animals
- Marriage and de facto relationships
- Guidelines on participation of pastors in protest marches
- Declaration concerning communist and other persecution of Christians
Volume II (Section H. Ethical and Social Issues)
Volume III (Section H. Ethical and Social Issues)
- Human sexuality: three key issues (background paper) (2014)
- Human sexuality: three key issues (summary) (2015)
A series of studies suitable for small groups supports the Human Sexuality papers. Go to Study Guides page.
Read statements produced by the LCA’s Commission on Social and Bioethical Questions (including statements which have been adopted by General Synod) on similar topics.